Since they first appeared in Charles Addams's cartoons, the Addams Family have known many iterations, and the characters have been portrayed in many contradicting ways. For example, Wednesday's characterization is very different depending on the medium. Another even more blatent example is how some of the family members are actually related: is Grandmama the mother of Morticia (as in Barry Sonnenfeld's movies), or that of Gomez and Fester (as in The New Addams Family), that of Gomez alone (as in the 1960s series), or even a potential stranger (as in the Musical)? Also, is Wednesday older (as in the Sonnenfeld movies) or younger (as in the 1960s series) than Pugsley?
Let's have a look at how many distinct, self-contained "continuities" there are:
- The "New Yorker" continuity: contains information found in Chas Addams' cartoons drawn for the New Yorker, whether published or unpublished.
- The "Filmways" continuity: includes the original 1964-1966 series, the 1977 revival Halloween with the New Addams Family, and the two tie-in novels (The Addams Family by Jack Sharkey, and The Addams Family Strikes Back by W.F. Miksch ).
- The "Hanna-Barbera 72" continuity: includes "Wednesday Is Missing" and the 1973 animated series.
- The "Paramount" continuity: includes Barry Sonnenfeld's The Addams Family and Addams Family Values, and their respective novelizations.
- The "Hanna-Barbera 1992": include the 1992 animated series and the book Fester's Unbelievable Underwear.
- The "Saban Continuity": includes the Addams Family Reunion movies and The New Addams Family.
- The "Musical" continuity: includes, well, The Addams Family: A New Musical.
- The "Nitrogen" continuity: includes Greg Tiernan's upocming movie and its tie-in material (should there be any).
I propose that we take a page from the DC Database wikia's book. See how they do it, for example with the Jester here. The character's plain name (without parenthetics), serves as a disambiguation page, a gateway to all the versions of the character that exist in different continuities. Of course, that would mean there would be 8 pages for each of the "core" characters: Morticia Addams (NY), Morticia Addams (Filmways), Morticia Addams H-B 72, Morticia Addams (Paramount), Morticia Addams (H-B 92), Morticia Addams (Saban), Morticia Addams (Musical), and Morticia Addams (Nitrogen).
Now SURE, it would mean more work, more pages to create. But the benefit, I think, would be huge.
Please do not hesitate to comment! I'm very willing to help make this wikia better, bigger, ookier, and kookier.