The Addams Family is a 1991 film featuring The Addams Family.
A con artist and her son take advantage of Uncle Fester's 25-year absence to try to steal the Addams fortune.
Gomez reflects sorrowfully on the years his brother Fester has been lost, whom he has not seen for 25 years due to a falling-out between them. Gomez' lawyer, Tully Alford, is desperate to pay off his loan shark so he proposes to create the "Fester Addams Offshore Retirement Fund." Gomez, oblivious the real purpose, says that they should not do business the next quarter. Meanwhile, Alford's wife Margaret asks Morticia to donate to charity auction. Morticia offers a bejeweled fingertrap from the court of Emperor Wu, and invites the Alfords to a seance in which they will attempt to contact Uncle Fester's spirit. Tully returns to work to find his loan shark, Abigail Craven, and her son Gordon waiting for him. Gordon harasses Tully until he discovers the gold doubloons with which Gomez has paid his monthly expenses. Tully notices just how similar Gordon looks to Fester, and proposes that Gordon pose as Fester to infiltrate the Addams' house to find the vault where they keep their vast riches. At the seance, Granny Frump attempts to contact Fester's spirit, demanding he knock three times. Just then, they hear three knocks, but at the door. They answer it to find Gordon, posing as Fester, and Ms. Craven, posing psychiatrist named Dr. Greta Pinder-Schloss.
She informs them that Fester had been found in Miami, tangled in a tuna net during Hurricane Helga. After extensive testing, the Florida Department of the Fish and the Game declared this was indeed Fester. Gordon says he can only stay with the family for a week, since he has "things cooking in the Bermuda Triangle." Gomez is initially overjoyed, but becomes more and more suspicious Fester fails to remember important events their childhood: when Gomez had his first cigar, the combination to the vault, their secret names for each other. He takes him to the vault to show some old home movies and asks forgiveness for the reason for Gomez and Fester's falling out: Gomez was jealous of Fester's ways with women, and wooed both the beautiful Flora and Fauna Amor twins even though he didn't love them. After buying back their own bejeweled fingertrap for $50,000 at the charity auction, Gordon asks how to take it off, something Fester should have known since he had been stuck wearing that same finger trap for two years, but which Gordon does not remember. Gomez stews over these inconsistencies while playing trainwreck.
Gordon attempts to access the vault, but cannot remember which of the many chains to pull. He pulls the wrong one, and is yanked upwards, then sent down a slide into a shark tank, then flushed from the house. Morticia meets him outside and leads him on tour of the graveyard, before reminding him of the family creed: Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc, meaning "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us."
Gordon thinks that the family suspects his ruse, so Abigail, as Dr. Pinder-Schloss, convinces Gomez that his suspicion is nothing more than Displacement. Meanwhile, Gordon shows signs that he is growing close to the family: he spends time with Wednesday and Pugsley, helping with the sword fight scene for their school play, and teaching them about explosives. Abigail hatches a plan to pretend to not be interested in the school play, thus leaving the house vacant so they can get to the vault. Gordon breaks from the plan by instead going to watch Wednesday and Pugsley's scene in the play. Abigail tries to enter the house anyway, but is trapped by the mobile plants outside the house.
The next morning, Morticia tells Dr. Pinder-Schloss that Gomez and Fester have reconciled, and that they've planned a party honoring Fester's return. This gives Gordon and his mother another opportunity to reach the vault. At the party, the Addams clan gather to celebrate. When Wednesday is sent to check on Fester, she finds Gordon in the bathroom, with his mother shaving his head. The two of them are talking about their plans for the evening. Wednesday realizes that he is fake and escapes to the family graveyard as Gordon chases her. Meanwhile, Flora and Fauna tell Tully that Fester, being the older brother, would be the executor of the Addams estate, and would thus inherit everything on their property. Tully makes a hasty exit and enlists the aid of Gomez' neighbor, Judge Womack who's fed up with the Addams' ookiness, such as the golf balls Gomez hits through his windows. The judge enthusiastically agrees to help.
Once the party is over, it is discovered that Wednesday is missing. All of the Addamses except Gordon go to search for her. Gomez finds her sleeping inside a crypt in the cemetery. They return to find the gate locked, with Tully behind it. He claims Fester's time with the Amor twins brought his memories back, and has a restraining order demanding they stay at least a thousand yards from the property. Gomez takes the issue to court, but Judge Womack rules in favor of Gordon out of spite, though he does give Gomez his golf balls back. Defeated, the Addamses move into a motel.
While Gordon, his mother, and Tully Alford all repeatedly try and fail to reach the vault, the Addamses try to adapt to their new situation. To support the family, Wednesday and Pugsley open a lemonade stand. Morticia tries to become a preschool teacher, but her rendition of Hansel and Gretel makes all the children bawl their eyes out. Thing inexplicably gets a job as a courier for Federal Express. Gomez is so despondent he refuses to do anything but watch daytime TV and eat snack food.
It pains Morticia to see her family living like this, so she returns to the mansion to confront Gordon. She is subdued by Tully and Craven, who torture her to learn how to reach the vault, but of course she enjoys it. Thing sees all this and returns to the motel, where he informs Gomez that his beloved wife is in trouble. Gomez rushes to her rescue, but Abigail pulls a gun on him. She demands that he take them to the vault or she will kill Morticia.
Disgusted by the torture of his family, and by his Abigail's constant worsening badgering, Fester takes matters into his own hands. He opens a book titled Hurricane Irene which produces a mighty wind that blows Tully and Abigail out the window, into open graves freshly dug by Pugsley, Wednesday and Thing. Pugsley asks Wednesday, "Are they dead?" and Wednesday replies, "Does it matter?"
Seven months later, all is well with the family as they are throwing a Halloween party. Uncle Fester's memories have returned. He really had been found in Miami, but he had amnesia. As Fester and the children rush out to the graveyard for a rousing game of "Wake the Dead," Gomez ponders what could possibly make life better. Morticia then holds up a three-legged sleeper she has been knitting.
- The newspaper Life & Times had a small article on this flick.
- Bruno bites Tully's ankle. Marie Antoinette appears.
- Uncle Knick-Knack and Calpurnia Addams appear.
- Kitty Kat and Camp Custer are mentioned.
- The vault's combination is 2-10-11, "eyes, fingers, toes," and it contains both a brown and a polar Bear.
- The tour of the cemetery includes Aunt LaBorgia, Cousin Fledge, Uncle Imar, Muerto, Mother and Father Addams and their family creed.
- Cousin Balthazar is mentioned.
- The tombstone of Ansel Addams appears.
- During "Wake the Dead" they try to wake Uncle Atlas and Great-Aunt Lavinia.
- In a 2012 interview, Barry Sonnenfeld, the director of the movie, stated that he originally intended that it be unclear whether Fester really was an impostor or not, but all the other actors rebelled and chose 10-year-old Christina Ricci to speak on their behalf, who "gave this really impassioned plea that Fester shouldn't be an impostor.... so we ended up totally changing that plot point to make the actors happy. And they were right — it was the better way to go."
- Originally an Orion Pictures property but being strapped for cash they began selling off promising film projects including The Addams Family. Orion still maintained non-U.S. distribution rights to the film thanks to Columbia.
- This movie was recorded 29-30 October 1989.
- Anjelica Huston as Morticia Addams
- Raul Julia as Gomez Addams
- Christopher Lloyd as Uncle Fester
- Elizabeth Wilson as Abigail Craven / Dr. Greta Pinder-Schloss
- Christina Ricci as Wednesday
- Judith Malina as Granny
- Dan Hedaya as Tully Alford
- Carel Struycken as Lurch
- Paul Benedict as Judge Womack
- Christopher Hart as Thing
- Dana Ivey as Margaret Alford
- Jimmy Workman as Pugsley
- John Franklin as Cousin Itt
- Tony Azito as Digit Addams
- Douglas Brian Martin as Dexter
- Steven M. Martin as Donald
- Allegra Kent as Cousin Ophelia Frump
- Richard Korthaze as Slosh Addams
- Ryan Holihan as Lumpy Addams
- Maureen Sue Levin as Flora Amor
- Darlene Levin as Fauna Amor
- Kate McGregor-Stewart as Employment Agent
- Lela Ivey as Susan Firkins
- Whitby Hertford as Little Tully
- Patty Maloney as Lois Addams
- Victoria Hall as Swedish Blonde
- Jimmy Ross as Pre-Teen Gomez
- Ryan Anderson as Pre-Teen Fester
- Daniel Pikus as Teenage Gomez
- Michael Hittesdorf as Teenage Fester
- Lauren Walker as Teenage Flora Amor
- Valeri Walker as Teenage Fauna Amor
- Mercedes McNab as Girl Scout
- Joe Zimmerman as Long Arm Addams
- Steve Welles as Fingers Addams
- Eugene M. Jackson as One-Armed Bass Player
- Richard Tanner as Snake Charmer
- Marc Shaiman as Conductor
- Jonathan Wee as Juggler 1
- Owen Morse as Juggler 2
- Sally Jessy Raphael as Herself
- Diane Burt as Caroler
- Barry Sonnenfeld as Passenger on Gomez's train (uncredited)
- The Addams Family script in pdf