Gomez has written a play for the Family to celebrate Wednesday's birthday. Cousin Itt, Uncle Fester and Lurch all want to be the hero. Cousin Itt is brilliant as the hero, Claude, much to Fester's disgust. Now all they need is a director, so Gomez decides to hire a professional. Erich von Bissell, who wants to rekindle his faded career, thinks the play is beneath him, until Gomez offers $50,000. Meanwhile, Fester takes Itt to the play room and locks him in an old chest so he can play the hero. Fester is in turn locked in the mummy sarcophagus by Lurch, who also wants the role.
When Itt is freed, von Bissell refuses to work with him, especially when he hears Itt's voice. Offended, Itt hides up the chimney. Morticia coaxes him down and works on improving his voice. Itt slows his speech down to reveal a deep baritone, which von Bissell adores. Itt now puts on airs. He won't do a silly amateur play and retires to his bedroom. Morticia is appalled and tries in vain to get the old Itt back. Gomez brings over producer Sam Derrick, who wants Itt to be the star of his next picture, a monster movie. Itt is so incensed that his voice returns to normal.
- The Bear has inexplicably changed to a polar bear, and the Totem Pole has disappeared, but Cousin Farouk has returned and a fireman's pole has been installed near him.
- When Morticia goes to freshen her makeup, Gomez says that Baking Powder No. 4 looks wonderful on her.
- Despite Blossom Rock and Ken Weatherwax being credited, they only appear in the opening and closing credits.
- Gomez' play is reminiscent of Romeo and Juliet.
- It was remade for The New Addams Family episode with the same name.
Links and References