Morticia's Romance: Part 1 is the second episode of the second season of the original series of The Addams Family, and the thirty-sixth overall episode of the series. It first aired 24 September 1965 on ABC.
At the stroke of midnight, Gomez wishes Morticia a happy thirteenth wedding anniversary (the lucky one, according to Uncle Fester). The rest of The Addams Family slide down the fireman's pole and the children ask to hear the story of how their parents met.
Morticia says her sister, Aunt Ophelia, was originally supposed to marry Gomez. Grandmama thought it was time for Gomez to marry, so she arranged for her old school chum from Swampton High, Hester Frump, to bring her daughter Ophelia to meet him. She also brought along Morticia. Gomez was not attracted to Ophelia, but fell for Morticia at first sight. Ophelia felt fine about Gomez however, and announced their betrothal to the family.
As they were getting to know each other, Gomez let Morticia play with his trains. She first saw Thing there, flipping a train switch, and did not find him peculiar. Gomez said he'd been his friend since childhood. Morticia came up with the idea of a Trainwreck on her own, but Gomez already had a dynamite plunger wired up to the set.
When Morticia spoke French to Gomez, it cleared his sinuses and cured his bronchitis. They realized they were in love, so they sought the advice of her Uncle Fester and his Cousin Itt about breaking the betrothal, but they were no help. The star-crossed lovers were about to shoot themselves when Thing snatched their guns away.
Gomez says they'll have to hear the rest of the story another night, and everyone goes back to bed.
- Carolyn Jones plays three roles: Morticia, the twenty-two-year-old Morticia, and her sister, Ophelia.
- Aunt Trivia is mentioned.
- Pugsley's Wolf's Head Clock, Kitty Kat and Marie Antoinette appear in this episode, and Cleopatra is mentioned.
- When Thing hands Gomez Morticia's present, he is a left hand instead of his usual right, as when he hands her the scissors just moments later. When he flips the train switch, he is also left.
- Morticia says hello to a bird in the Addams' house that looks exactly like Zelda.
- It was remade for The New Addams Family episode with the same name.
- Zebra Burgers
- Fried Eye of Newt
- Barbecued Turtle Tips
- Cold Yak