Happy Birthday, Grandma Frump is the twenty-second episode of the second season of the original series of The Addams Family, and the fifty-sixth overall episode of the series. It first aired 11 February 1966 on ABC.
Annoyed by not being asked to contribute to the charity bazaar, Gomez Addams decides he'll build his own home for the aged. Meanwhile, Granny Frump's birthday is coming up and she's been invited over, while Grandmama vacations on Devil's Island. Gomez and Morticia plan to send her to a beauty spa, and swear the kids to secrecy. Pugsley spills the beans that they're planning to send her away, but doesn't say where. Granny goes down to the play room and grills Uncle Fester about it. Fester remembers they were talking about a home for the aged, and thinks that's a good idea, but reluctantly suggests that she should make herself too useful to be sent away. Granny tries hard, but she overdoes it and upsets Lurch by stealing his chores. Wednesday tries to cheer her up by suggesting she act young. Granny overdoes that, too, dressing and acting like a child. Gomez and Morticia think she's cracked up, and call in Dr. Jonley to examine her, then try to calm their nerves with a Trainwreck. When Jonley arrives, Fester slides down the fireman's pole so of course Jonley thinks he's the patient. As Gomez and Morticia straighten him out, Fester, who has discovered the truth, goes up to the Guest Room and explains it to Granny, who then mistakes Jonley for the beautician and insists on being taken away. She enjoys the mental hospital for a while, but leaves when they won't give her a perm.
- Wednesday recites a poem she wrote about her pet spider, Homer.
- Guest star George Petrie played another psychiatrist in episode 2.
- Thing is a left hand when he answers Gomez' fake phone call instead of his usual right. When he delivers the mail near the end, he is right handed.
- Despite Blossom Rock being credited, she only appears in the opening and closing credits.
- It was remade for The New Addams Family episode "Grandpapa Addams Comes to Visit".
- Souffle of Aardvark
- Sea Slug
- Porcupine Cookies
- Mongoose Broth